Monday 14 January 2013

Enter a different world - Harrods.com mail order

Just before Christmas I was approached to carry out a review from the iconic Luxury store - Harrods, once I had picked my self up off the floor, I decided that this would be a great post for the blog. Harrods is a quintessentially English brand and as some one who doesn't get down to the "big smoke" (London) very often I liked the idea of virtually shopping with them instead.


Harrods


As a Food blogger, I obviously have confined the shopping spree to their virtual online food hall, famous the world over for Christmas Food Hampers , Harrods also supply year round a fine selection of  foodie delicacies which can be mailed to an address of your choice. So with my gift card in hand, I ordered a lovely selection of goodies from the easy to use website, I was not too impressed that even-though I ordered almost £100 worth of items I had to pay a delivery charge of £5.95, then again though if you can afford to shop at Harrods a small delivery charge isn't going to worry you. So I completed the online ordering process quite quickly and then waited for my goodies to arrive.The items took just over 7 days to arrive with me ( but this was over new year), however I was kept informed throughout the process by email, all the items were in stock and when delivered where packaged well.

Now on to the items I ordered, I wanted to steer clear of any touristy jams and biscuits and focus on what treats they had for an ardent foodie like myself.

My first selection was an aged balsamic vinegar of Modena IGP (£40)( Protected geographical status), if you've noticed on the blog I do love Italian food and finding that the cupboard was bear (so to speak) this was a must order item. Packaged in a funky sleek bottle this PRIMVS branded vinegar was a good vinegar with some age, so ideal to serve in all the usual ways for sprinkling and dipping. The price was a little steep given to what I have paid for aged balsamic vinegar before but it is quite a large bottle.
                                                

I also love chocolate and for a chocoholic like myself the next selection was a no brainer, the iconic Hot Chocolate brand "Charbonnel et Walker" (£7.50) , quality chocolate flakes to make gorgeous hot chocolate with, perfect for this time of year with the added bonus of the gorgeous tin to use for storage later.
                                               
I make elderflower cordial very spring and have often thought of making rose cordial, so on spotting East of India Company Rose Cordial (£7.95) on the website that had to go in my basket too, thinking it will make a nice addition to cake and dessert recipes or drizzled over warm scotch pancakes. You could also use this in cooling summer drinks and cocktails, Plus I loved the bottle and delightful packaging. Interestingly whilst this cordial is available via other outlets its the same price.
                                               
We love Port in the the Lancashire Food household, so we couldn't pass up the chance of snaffling a bottle of Vintage port (£33.95) to enjoy in front of the fire with friends, the bottle came parceled in a fine wooden case and complete with filter to use when decanting, the only disappointment was that the filter was plastic, this would obviously make an ideal gift at any time of the year.
                                   
Last but no means least were these delicious little biscuits Dolcetto di Cocao (£3.95), Italian again (I know I know !), tiny morsels of chocolatelyness , with a creamy centre. These were delightful with coffee and disappeared very quickly.
                                                
So all in all shopping mail order with Harrods was a pleasurable experience, and the quality of the products was very good and considering its Harrods the pricing was fairly competitive for most of the items. 

This is a sponsored blog post and I received the items for review  free of charge, these opinions are my own.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...